Saturday, October 4, 2008

Matrimonial Cake



Matrimonial cake a sweet treat with a strange name. It's defiantly not a wedding cake , some have suggested that its name comes from " a metaphor for marriage because it has a rough top but a sweet filling and a firm base". Pretty clever, I can't take credit for making this batch but I was a willing participant!

It seems to have Western Canadian origins. I just call it delicious.

My sister sent me a scan of my mothers original recipe hand written in two colours.

She gives credit to her mother on the top corner.

It still tastes great even frozen!

Click on this image to make it larger!

6 comments:

Raychill Canuck said...

In our family, my personal favourite is "Honeymoon Squares" - chocolate chips instead of dates - yum (and there's coconut and you only make two layers, the third one appears in baking)

Brad G said...

Raychill,
do you have a recipe it sounds delish :-b

Anonymous said...

That's so neat that you still have the recipe that was passed down from your grandmother to your mother. It sounds so tasty. I'd like to include this recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested!

Thanks!
Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophiekiblogger@gmail.com

Lori Crane said...

My mother-in-Law made this every year at Christmas, she also was from Canada. I will be making this at Christmas for my family. Thanks for the recipe

the Bag Lady said...

I just revamped my mom's recipe for this - using dried apricots and toasted pecans. Makes a nice change!

Jamie Miranda said...

OMG.. I have been looking for this recipe since my mom died.
She used to make it every Christmas. She was raised in Canada so it makes total sense. I want to thank you. I thought I would never get to taste these again. I am so happy...