Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Holiday Entertaining

Nothing Brings back old memories of the holidays like a good spinach dip!

I used the recipe on the packet of Lipton's vegetable soup. The only changes

were to substitute low fat sour cream and light mayo. It turned out great.

1 Envelope Lipton vegetable mix

1- 8oz container sour cream

1 cup mayonnaise

1 -10 oz packet frozen chopped spinach

thawed and squeezed dry

1- 8 oz can water chestnuts drained and chopped to ¼ inch cubes


In a medium bowl combine all ingredients , chill 2 hrs ( overnight is better)


Carve out a round loaf of pumpernickel keeping the cubes for dip


( you will eventually eat the bread bowl in a frenzy at the end...)



Make night ahead and don't skimp on the bread as its the true star of the show.

All the calories I saved on the dip were sensibly wasted on California champaign product.












After watching a room full of Ph d's and lawyers pick this champaign in a blind test

with others 10x the price I decided to save some haruska ($).

BW


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

more, more, more...lets eat like REAL people....

tara said...

As soon as I saw this, I thought of my husband. Truly this is his holiday favorite. The pumpernickel looks to be a particularly lovely one; long live the classics, I say.

Kiriel du Papillon said...

I whipped up a loaf of spinach dip myself for a recent party here in Switzerland. Noone had ever seen or experienced anything like it, and were blown away by it. Funny isn't it, how some things seem old fashioned to one person, but are brand new to others!

I love the look of that dark dark bread.

Brad G said...

Thanks for your complements.
I will try to post some more classics.
BW